Includes Treatments for:
Open Repair Large Rotator Cuff Tear
Arthroscopic Repair Large Rotator Cuff Tear
Sling/swathe at all times, except for exercises
PROM limits to: 90 pure abduction, 20 extensions, 70 internal
rotations (not behind back)
- 1. Pendulum exercises 3x/day minimum
- 2. PROM within pain tolerance
- 3. Elbow and wrist AROM 4x/day minimum
- 4. Cryocuff/ ice: days 1-2 as much as possible, then post activity for pain
Sling/swathe at all times, except for exercises, bathing, or
sitting quietly. ROM limits continued.
- 1. PROM within limits and pain tolerance
- 2. Manual resistance for scapular motions
- 3. Postural awareness education
- 4. Gentle soft tissue mobilization and joint mobilization
- 5. Modalities as indicated for pain or inflammation
Sling for comfort, but may be discontinued. No ROM limits
- 1. Initiate AAROM (wand and pulleys), unless specified by physician to progress more slowly
- 2. Joint mobilization for scapula and glenohumeral mobility
- 3. Gentle exercises for scapular stabilizers and rotator cuff, may include sub-max isometrics, PNF, and supervised UBE
- 4. Progress AROM, with education for quality of motion to avoid shoulder hiking.
*Patient must be able to elevate without hiking shoulder to progress to next phase.